Friday 23 January 2015

Oscar the Bear

A friend of mine asked me recently if I could make her a little bear for her room. she liked the little teddy wearing the jumper that I made for my cousin's baby, so I thought I'd let her choose what she wanted her teddy to look like. 

She requested a brown teddy in a teal blue jumper, so that's what I did. I also gave her to opportunity to name her little bear; she chose Oscar. Check out my Etsy shop where you can order your very own personalised bear.


I used the pattern from the Amigurumi Winter Wonderland book as a guide but this time I changed quite a bit of it to fit with what I wanted the Teddy's personality to be.

In the pattern, the body goes to a total thickness of 48 stitches (increasing by 6 stitches on each increasing row). However, I wanted my bear to be a bit chubbier, so I added another increasing row (totalling 54 stitches) and adjusted the pattern from their accordingly. I also changed the legs by adding feet and made the arms chubbier too to match the body. The original pattern also suggests sewing on the contrasting trim afterwards, however I decided to add it in as a row of slip stitches to give it a cleaner finish.



I've made a list of all the adjustments I made to the original pattern below. (Be aware the original pattern is in American format so I've stuck to that with my alterations).

My Pattern Adjustments:

Body and Jumper:
(Row 9 as normal)
Row 10: sc in all 48 st [48]
Row 11: (inc in next st, sc in next 7 st) repeat 6 times [54]
Row 12 - 15: sc in all 54 st [54]
Change to jumper colour.
Row 16: dc in all 54 st [54]
Row 17: FP dc in all 54 st [54]
Change to highlight colour.
Row 18: slip stitch in all 54 st [54]
Change to jumper colour.
Row 19: sc in all 54 st [54]
Row 20: sc in next 15 st (dec, sc in next 2 st) repeat 6 times,sc in next 15 [48]
Row 21; sc in all 48 st [48]
Now continue from the original pattern at row 19. Technically you've only added 2 extra rows but a lot more chub!

Legs:
(Row 3 as normal)
Row 4: (inc in next st, sc in next 2 st) repeat 6 times [24]
Row 5: (inc in next st, sc in next 3 st) repeat 6 times [30]
Row 6 - 9: sc in all 30 st [30]
Row 10: (dec, sc in next 4 st) repeat 3 times, sc in next 12 st [27]
Row 11: (dec, sc in next 3 st) repeat 3 times, sc in next 12 st [24]
Row 12- 13: sc in all 24 st [24]
Now continue from the original pattern at row 10. You've added an extra 3 rows which has made a little chubby foot!

Arm:
(Row 3 as normal)
Row 4: (inc in next st, sc in next 2 st) repeat 6 times [24]
Row 5 - 6: sc in all 24 st [24]
Change to jumper colour.
Row 7: dc in all 24 st [24]
Row 8: FP dc in all 24 st [24]
Change to highlight colour.
Row 9: slip stitch in all 24 st [24]
Change to jumper colour.
Row 10-12: sc in all 24 st [24]
Row 13:(dec, sc in next 2 st) repeat 6 time[18]
Row 14: sc in all 18 st [18]
Now continue from the original pattern at row 11. 

Buy your own little bear here and customise them yourself. 

Thanks,

CatCat

No comments:

Post a Comment